September is Heathy Aging Month and below are some tips that we have offered our residents in our monthly Spark Magazine;
- BE KIND TO YOUR SKIN. Wear sunscreen and protective clothing when outside. Get yearly skin cancer screening. Stick to gentle products for your skin care routine. Stay hydrated.
- TAKE REGULAR EXERCISE. Join one of the classes here at Rocky Ridge, walk laps of the corridor, swim or cycle in the gym.
- MIND YOUR DIET. Recommended foods include fruits and vegetables, lean protein such as fish and beans, at least 3 ounces of whole-grain (cereals, breads, rice or pasta) every day, 3 servings of low-fat dairy. Keep your salt intake to a minimum to keep blood pressure down.
- MENTAL HEALTH MATTERS. Being happy and keeping your stress down goes a long way in helping you live and age well. Spending time with friends and loved one, accepting your age and doing things you enjoy are all ways to keep your mood elevated.
- STAY PHYSICALLY ACTIVE. Walk the long way around to your meals, take the stairs if you can.
- LOWER YOUR STRESS. Using relaxation techniques such as mediation, breathing exercises and yoga are great ways to help relieve stress. Talk to a friend.
- FIND NEW HOBBIES. Organize photos into an album, read a book from the library, pick up that project you have been meaning to finish.
- QUIT SMOKING & DECREASE ALCOHOL CONSUMPTION.
- GET ENOUGH SLEEP.
- DRINK PLENTY OF WATER.
- SEE A DOCTOR REGULARLY.
Though aging is inevitable, some people find it difficult to deal with the changes that come with getting older. If you’re worried about your health, are having trouble feeling positive about aging, or worry that you’re not aging well it’s important to reach out for help. Talk to someone you trust, such as a family member or close friend. Professional help is also available through a doctor or counsellor.
Credit – www.healthline.com